Monday, September 15, 2014

Writing for the Northern Review

While I enjoy most of my classes here so far, my favorite part about being at Ohio Northern right now is being able to write for the Northern Review. In my search for the right college last year, journalism played the biggest role. I came to Northern because I believed that I would be able to have a career in journalism after I left here (and would also be able to play basketball in college), and writing for the Northern Review has given me hope that I was right in that decision so far.


My dream job would be to be a beat writer for a sports organization. However, ideally, my dream job would be anything in the field of journalism.


At Ohio Northern, I can already feel myself networking with other members of the university through my short time on the Northern Review staff. I have published four articles so far on the Northern Review’s website, including a cross-country preview, two news articles and a feature.


I was a bit nervous about coming to a small school like Ohio Northern because I had already visited bigger schools with bigger journalism programs. But what I like about Ohio Northern so far is the individualized attention that students receive from professors and the ability to form a tighter bond with them.


I don’t believe that all big-time journalists have to come from Northwestern or Missouri, as long as their mindset is right. I believe in myself because I believe in my passion for journalism, and so far I have learned more about that at ONU.


The other great thing about the Northern Review is that it publishes online, and the articles go up quickly. At my high school, we had a website for our publication, but it was rarely updated and many of the articles were outdated by the time they made it online. Here, articles are up quickly, which makes for a much more effective publication.

I am excited to see what else I can produce for the Northern Review this year and I believe that continuing to write for the Northern Review will help me boost my resume for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Grant,
    I am glad to hear you are enjoying your time writing for the Northern Review. I worked as the Arts & Entertainment editor for the Northern Review last year, and I can't say I was as enthusiastic as you are. I think I just didn't have the passion for it like you. However, I did learn a lot. I gained valuable knowledge about format and design for newspapers as well as what it means to pay attention to detail and take pride in my work. I hope you continue to enjoy your time as a writer! I will have to check out some of your stories.

    ReplyDelete