Monday, September 8, 2014

Learning to love everything from windmills to black swans

When I visited Ohio Northern University last fall, I remember thinking that the campus was boring. I’m from a historic suburb filled with hills, trees and old brick roads, which rests behind a city.


On top of that, I have also spent countless hours over the last ten years traveling to different camps in the midwest. After seeing a tiring amount of windmill-dominated fields, I had come to the conclusion that I could never live in the rural midwest.


But it’s funny how differently you look at things once they become yours, or a part of your home.


Now I can’t get over how beautiful Northern’s campus is (although, in reality, it’ll only be a month or so before it starts blizzarding again).


I embrace the windmills, the surrounding soy fields, the tundra and even the wildlife, which was something that I seriously underestimated before I came here.


Northern’s pond ecosystem makes things more interesting. The black swans are ferocious birds that will make you rethink stepping on their side of the pond. I had never seen black squirrels before I came to ONU, and they’re everywhere here. As an anonymous student said on the social app Yik Yak, ‘the black squirrel with no tail hangs out near the law building. Really pulling for him.’


Other features of ONU’s entertaining ecosystem include the vulture-looking birds that perch on the roof of one of the fraternities near the mud volleyball courts. They are large and reckless. Not to mention the frogs that seem to appear every so often, and the ducks that never fly alone.

Now that Northern is becoming my home, I am starting to love so many of the things that I never thought I would. It will be hard to see the animals go when the campus freezes over soon, but I’ll learn to deal with it.

3 comments:

  1. Grant,
    I love this post! Personally, I am from an already rural town, so ONU is not much different from my home. I always find it interesting when people from Cincinnati or Columbus or even California decide to come to little ONU. I'm glad you enjoy the campus like I do. You mentioned not looking forward to when campus freezes over, but you might be surprised by the beauty of winter here. Yes, it gets very cold and you will understand why they call it "the Tundra," but there is a special beauty to the trees covered in snow and the Christmas trees decorated all around campus. I hope you continue to enjoy it here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear that you're liking Ohio Northern so much. So many people transfer colleges or never feel at home, but if you already feel this way, I think it's safe to say you have made the choice that best suits you. I agree with what you say about ONU's campus. It is a very nice campus, a lot better than many of the campuses that I visited. I personally don't really like how small the campus is, and I wish Ada was bigger, but different people like different things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant, I'm glad you're starting to love campus! Fall is my favorite time here at ONU because it is so gorgeous. Winter is the worst, especially since we rarely get snow days. I say invest in a pair of snow boots and enjoy the warmer weather while it lasts. On the bright side, some of the ducks do stick around during the winter. It's sad to see them freeze when there is a blizzard outside, but it was their choice to stay! I'm glad you love it here as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete