Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Funnel logic

In finishing Groundswell, written by the Forrester Research company, I found the ‘marketing funnel’ metaphor very interesting (see page 101). The idea is based around the fact that most marketing is done via “shouting,” which only draws attention to the product due to repetition. This “shouting” occurs at the entrance of the funnel, as it might only make the consumer notice the product.


In order to lure the customer into buying one’s product, the marketer must influence them in the ‘middle section’ of the funnel, as this is when the consumer is actually making their decision. And in today’s internet-dominated world, the best way to influence the consumer inside the funnel is through the groundswell.


I found this to be very true, because whenever I am uncertain about a product, I turn to the internet. My search usually leads me to message boards that have mixed reviews on the product, but that help nonetheless.


This backs up a point that is made later on in the book, as well: customers will trust word-of-mouth more than the word of the producer. If I go to the website of the company producing a potential purchase, I will automatically assume that not all of the information being told is correct, because it is most likely biased.


However, for some reason, I seem to trust reviews made by complete strangers.


Another interesting topic in the last section of the reading dealt with ‘energizing’ the customer (page 129). As a frequent shopper at Dick’s Sporting Goods, I get emails every week that include coupons and advertisements for weekly deals. Although I am likely a low-level returning customer (and definitely not deserving of ‘ambassador’ status), I would still consider this to be a part of Dick’s efforts to energize their returning customers.


Even Gmail now features a “promotions” section of the user’s personal mailbox, likely just for these types of energizing emails. Corporations are adapting to the groundswell, and the groundswell is adapting to corporations.

I think that it is interesting how some companies use online communities to rally their best customers, and to gain feedback. I guess I’ve never been passionate enough about a product to spend my time discussing it in an online community. To each his own, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Grant, You had some interesting views on online communities and reviews. I also think it is so strange that, as consumers, we are more likely to trust a complete stranger than something written by the company. I guess we do this because they are regular, relatable humans like us, and not big, bad CEO's of companies trying to push their product. I am like you, in that I don't really review or discuss the products I buy. I only review if I had a bad experience and want to save other people from having that same experience.

    ReplyDelete