Thursday, November 27, 2014

Why I play the game

It’s funny how some things bring back memories. I shot a basketball while wearing gloves the other day and it reminded me of winters as a kid, playing basketball in my driveway with gloves and a hat on. The cloth finger tips would eventually wear off after a few days, and that was just the way I liked them.


However, when the cloth tips wore off, I usually got cuts on my fingers from shooting the ball during the cold, dry winter. I still get those cuts, but not as bad as I used to.


I also used to simulate gameplay in my backyard by myself. I would pretend that there was a game that I was participating in, and I played the role of every player on both teams, as well as the game’s auditory aspects- the announcers and the home crowd.


Yeah, I was a weird kid. But I loved the game, and I would do whatever it took to play.


At the same time, I was also a student of the game from an early age. By the time I started playing basketball, which was around the year 2006, I was able to use the Internet and watch YouTube. I watched tons of highlight mixes on the internet, many of which were of my favorite player growing up, Carmelo Anthony (I even named my pet snake after him).


I took some of the aspects of Carmelo’s game and put them into mine- the reverse pivot, face-up mid-range jumper, for example. I also watched ESPN whenever I could. For a couple of years, I only had cable at my dad’s house; because of that, I would get up at 5 a.m. and watch SportsCenter because I knew that it might be the only time that I got to see ESPN that week.


Now, I have access to so much more technology and basketball facilities. I can see game film whenever I want, and can go to an indoor gym most hours of the day. But my love for the game has yet to change.


When I came home for Thanksgiving break this week, I stopped by one of my old high school basketball team’s practices to see how they were doing. My coach asked me about college basketball and what it’s like for me right now, and he asked if it seems more like a ‘job’ now.

I replied, “No, because it’s still fun.” It made me think about the reason why I play the game. I believe that when I start to question whether or not I am having fun playing the sport, or whether or not I still love the game the way I used to, I will need to reconsider playing. I play because I love the game, and I play because it is fun- that will always remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment