Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Different levels of engagement

In chapter five of Katie Delahaye Paine’s Measure What Matters, Paine discusses the different levels of brand engagement that are involved with customers. She describes the five levels, from least to most engaged, as “lurkers, casual, active, committed and loyalist.”


This made me think about my level of engagement with different brands, especially on social media. Here are some of the brands that I engage with at different levels:


1. Nike: Lurker
Although I follow Nike’s brand on most social media sites and pay attention to coupons that they advertise, I mostly only like their posts. I don’t actually comment or engage with Nike, and I don’t shop there very often to begin with. I am definitely more of a ‘looker’ and less of a ‘buyer’ when it comes to Nike products.


2. The Onion: Casual
I follow The Onion on most social media sites, and I read their website on a regular basis. I am a repeat visitor, but I rarely promote their content. I will follow them and read their content, but I do not engage further than that.


I not only follow the ‘Shift Team’ movement on all social networks, but I also promote their content. I am a big fan of the movement and I am concerned with the growth of the project. I have watched the movement grow and feel proud that I have helped the growth in some way. I promote the Ten Thousand Hours videos and posts on social media using specific hashtags, such as #ShiftTeam.


4. New York Times: Committed
I follow the Times on all social networks and I also am a registered member. I subscribe to their website for a monthly fee in order to see unlimited content, and I also engage with the publication by commenting on social media posts and online articles. In many ways, I am fully engaged with them.


5. Grantland: Loyalist
I follow the blog on all social networks and promote their content. I also comment and engage with Grantland writers, as well as those who run their social media. I also usually read most of their content, and check it twice daily. I would consider myself a ‘loyalist’ for Grantland.com.



1 comment:

  1. Grant, This is a great idea for a blog post! I thought about the companies that I engage with on each of these levels, but I didn't think about putting it in words on my blog. I am with you on the Lurker level with Nike, definitely more of a 'looker'!

    ReplyDelete