Monday, October 27, 2014

The complication of social media policies

In chapter 13 of David Meerman Scott’s Real Time Marketing & PR, the issue of company social media policies is discussed. This issue is interesting because there are so many factors in play, especially when it comes to something as quick and ever-changing as social media.


With that being said, I believe that I lean more towards the conservative side of the spectrum here. Although I understand the importance of employees being able to communicate with customers, I also believe that there needs to be strict regulations on what employees can say and do on social media.


Here are a few guidelines that I would try to instill upon my company’s employees:


1. No social media during work hours: This will cut down on ‘tweeting-during-the-meeting’ situations and will allow my workers to be more productive. Their notifications will have to wait until they clock out.


2. The “I do not represent” line in bios: My employees will have to say something along the lines of “the views expressed in this account do not express the views of my employer” in their social media bio sections. This will allow my employer’s followers to understand our company’s stance on social media as well.


3. If you’re going to trash the company, talk to us first: I respect the freedom of speech, and therefore I will not constantly control my employees social media activity. However, if they are about to post something that is concerning an issue that they have with my company, they should talk to upper management first. Hopefully, they can resolve the issue before it is taken to social media in the heat of the moment.


Obviously I would have to address more specifics of the policy, including common-sense politeness by employees (which should be required by every company), but the points above were some of the bigger issues that I would address.

The tough part about social media policies is that every company is different; what might not be smart at one company might be alright at another. Every company will have different social media policies, which makes the issue even more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment